The Command Area Development Jammu is functioning since 1974 in a sustainable manner to reduce the gap between irrigation potential created and utilized for efficient management of irrigation water so as to raise the production and productivity level of different crops that will ultimately boost the socio economic status of the state. The mandate of the Command Area Development, Jammu is to utilize the Irrigation Potential created by the Irrigation department, so as the water made available for the Irrigation purpose reaches the farms/ cropped area by way of creation of Field Channels and other interventions like Drip Irrigation and Sprinkler Irrigation. Keeping in view, that the tail end farmers dont receive the required Irrigation supply due to various constraints, it has been made mandatory under the guidelines of ISBIG scheme to utilize at-least 30% of the funds provided under the scheme on Micro Irrigation Activities which includes drip Irrigation, Sprinkle Irrigation etc.
1. Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) (Har Khet ko Pani), Strengthening and creation of distribution network of irrigation from resource to farm.
2. Completion of Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana (RKVY) Projects
3. Promotion of Participatory Irrigation Management among water users.
3. Adaptive Trials for transfer of technology and to get more income and crop per drop of water.
3. On-Farm Development in canal command areas for increasing water use efficiency and overall increase in production and productivity.
As we know that the water is a scarce and precious resource, it needs to be utilized optimally and developed and conserved sensibly. The management of water resources should realize complexities as emerging in ensuring adequate availability of quality water for all purposes and for all consumers. The declining availability of surface water in the state and undesirable high stress on ground water caused as a result of its over exploitation to sustain food grain production for national food security cannot be ignored for too long and water rights of the people on water resources should be respected and restored.