Command Area Development, Jammu is functioning with the objective of bridging the gap between the Irrigation potential created and potential utilized by intercepting the seepage and percolation losses and improving water use efficiency by constructing lined field channels from outlet to the farmers fields, enforcing Warabandi through Water Users Associations, educating farmers regarding consumptive use of Irrigation Water and construction of field drains through Centrally Sponsored Schemes viz.I. Command Area Development and Water Management Programmes (CADWM) on the sharing pattern of 50: 40: 10 between Centre, State & farmers share. II. Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojna (RKVY)- 100% funding by Centre.
OBJECTIVES OF COMMAND AREA DEVELOPMENT WATER MANAGEMENT PROGRAMME:
- To enhance water use efficiency by improving the surface conveyance system from outlet to farmers field.
- To bridge gap between irrigation potential created and potential utilized by the farmers.
- To allow Controlled and equitable use of available irrigation water from outlet to tail ends.
- To check problem of water logging due to excessive seepage and deep percolation from upper reaches of Command Area.
- To increase crop yields per unit area by judicious use of land, water and inputs available.
- To boost the Economic status of project farmers and national Economy as a whole.